Saturday, August 6, 2011

It Was A Rainy Day in August......

I know I have been missing for a while - but we have been a little busy lately.
We have:
Moved into our house
Started some home improvements (that deserves a post all by itself) We are close to being finished but lets just say.....Davis' bunk bed is still not put together and is standing in the middle of the office
Attending Homeschool conventions (yes - we are homeschooling- yet again another post)
Researching hundreds of curriculum to find the best for my almost perfect child and his not so perfect mommy
Taking an almost two week vacation (yep - you guessed it - another post....or four)
Matt has started his gone-every-weekend teaching Sunday School conferences (ya never know....maybe Matt will do a post about that)
Swimming
Jumping on our new trampoline (a huge THANK YOU to the Register family)
And really just enjoying these last few days of summer. You know Davis will only have this summer one time, so we are living it UP!

So I am coming out of my bloggy sabbatical for a VERY special post!

Tuesday is a pretty special day.....my 14th anniversary to the most amazing man I know! Now - I know you are wondering why I am posting this today, but I leave tomorrow for the beach with 25 of my most favorite girls and my all-time favorite intern that is doing an AMAZING job - love you Amelia. So, I may be soaking up the sun too much or may be too sleep deprived to do this Tuesday and this is too special not to blog about!

Many of you know "our story" and if you don't, just ask, it really is quiet entertaining! I know that Matt is the man that God created to be my husband, provider, father to my child, comedian, encourager, cook, sock folder, and the love of my life!

Let me tell you some of the reasons why I love this man:

1. Matt always knows exactly what to say - if you doubt me, ask any student or adult that has ever been to an open-mic night - he always know exactly what to say! Am I the only wife that just comes up with these random ways to save money? Well - yesterday's idea was making homemade soap - let's just say we had a good laugh over that one! I had another brilliant idea today and ran outside to stop Matt from mowing to enlighten him on my new frugal idea and he just looked at me for what seemed like an eternity and just said the most encouraging things to me! Now, I will probably be looking up a homemade shampoo recipe soon, but for now, I will rest in my sweet husbands advice! "But my God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:19

2. Matt is such a great daddy! From the day Davis was born, Matt has been an active part of his son's life. When Davis was an infant and I was nursing, Matt had every right to sleep thru those middle of the night feedings, because really - what could he do ;) BUT, as always, Matt turned it into an adventure for us. He would always make me a huge glass of sweet tea and we would watch episodes of The West Wing. It almost got to the point we looked forward to those middle of the night feedings - we had to see what was going to happen in the Bartlett administration. As I am typing this, Matt and Davis are playing Hockey - Davis is one lucky little boy!

3. Matt loves Disney World as much as Davis and I do! He pretty much works a second job every August by teaching Sunday School conferences around the state so that we can take our annual trip to the Happiest Place on Earth. And when we walk down Main Street that first day each trip and I turn and see the gleam in his eyes (I sometimes think that gleam may be tears) I love him even more for the sacrifices he makes for our family.

4. Matt has integrity! I have never once worried about Matt cheating on me. I know that my husband only has eyes for me - and nobody else. The perfect example of this was the other day we were talking about that preacher that prayed that CRAZY prayer at the Nascar race (oh my - now that deserves a post as well) anyway - Matt was saying he saw an interview with the man's wife and she was mad. I said "Why? - most wives want their husbands to say they are smokin' hot! Is she not 'smokin' hot'?" Matt just sat there and I said "This is not a trick question" He said "Well I would never call another woman 'smokin' hot' but if I ever did - she would not be on the list!" What a great guy! Just the other day I was telling Matt about something I witnessed - it was not "bad" it just made me uncomfortable. I told Matt it would break my heart if I knew he ever acted that way towards another woman - but as soon as I said those words I realized how thankful I am that I do not have to ever even question those things. I know my man's motives are pure!

5. We love the same things: Our Savior, our child, The Office, running, Carlos', 80's music, those stinkin' cute twin boys on YouTube singing that "Lazy Song", and so many other things that make our relationship uniquely "ours" It seems like at times that Matt can read my mind. He can look at me and know exactly what I am thinking - and he quiet often knows when to get me away from situations because he knows sometimes I have a hard time controlling my mouth.....but I am trying.

These are just five of the five million reasons I love this man! He has put up with a lot from me, and we have walked some pretty dark roads together - but we are sill here - and stronger than ever! Our God HAS supplied and answered prayers and blessed beyond anything we deserve.

So, maybe in September after Matt's conferences have come to a close, and Davis' room is put together and the girls retreat is a distant (but wonderful) memory, we can celebrate by eating at the new Olive Garden in Trussville and maybe even see the new Steve Carrell movie. But until then -
Matt, that rainy day in August was the BEST day of my life - I LOVE YOU!

2 comments:

  1. Girl -- you are just wonderful! I miss the SNOT out of you -- and you live just down the way. Soon we will get together... and catch up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Mary! I know! I miss you too! I am convinced that we talked more when I lived in West Virginia than we do when I live 15 minutes away. Just rest in the fact that I can't drive thru Remlap without thinking about ya! I will be praying for you this week! Get tears in my eyes just thinking about it!!!!

    ReplyDelete