Sunday, April 17, 2011

It's All About Perspective

As most of you know, we had to take Davis to the ER yesterday for stitches. What started out as a happy little family Easter Egg Hunt ended in tears.

Davis and my niece and nephew were hunting eggs at my parents house.....well, before I go on, let me remind you all that I have a competitive streak a MILE long and somehow this has been passed on to my sweet, laid back child. So - back to the story - Mason, Kate and Davis were hunting Easter Eggs at my mom's and my mom started giving hints..."If you know what H2O is - you can find an egg" So off go the older two towards the water hose. Davis starts running towards the other two, not exactly sure what H2O is, but running as hard as his little legs can take him. He just HAD to get that egg before them. Now let me also be clear about something else....the eggs were empty. Davis was not racing for candy....just racing for the fact of having the most eggs. Wow - he is SO much like his mother!

At some point, Davis trips and falls onto a concrete paving stone and the edge of that stone gashed his arm open. Now I really feel like a terrible mom because I was not watching (as if I could have stopped him from falling - but I feel bad none the less). You see I was taking pictures of the eggs. Matt's job was to hide the eggs. Now I may have a competitive streak a mile long, but Matt has a sense of humor a mile long. So I was capturing these little treasures hidden in the most random of places like a light fixture, the water hose "thing" on the camper, the clothes line, etc. I hear a commotion, hear my nephew say "OOHHH" and then I hear it. That sound a mother dreads. That cry that starts in the depths of your child's soul and overflows into a terrible sound. That kind of cry that you know....something bad is wrong. Davis comes running to me, we find a terrible hole in his arm, run into the house, clean off the mud, check for more cuts and head out the door for the ER.

Let me say up front the emergency staff at Jacksonville Hospital are TOPS in my book. Our Doctor was Dr. Heathcliff Huxtable (from The Cosby Show) in the flesh. He was the most precious man and SO good to Davis. When he came in, he asked Davis what happened and Davis began to squall. Not so much about the cut (but he was pretty upset about that) but because he was convinced that when he fell and his basket spilled, that Mason took some of his eggs. Wow - he is so much like his mother!

The doctor reviewed lots of options.....he could glue it, but he was afraid he would not be able to clean it out as good as he needs to and he was convinced it would start bleeding again before we got to the car. He also wanted to do x-rays because he was not comfortable with the way Davis' elbow looked. He felt the best option was two stitches. Radiology came to take x-rays and Davis was very interested in seeing his "skeleton" Then Doctor Huxtable came back in and showed Davis each and every x-ray. It was such a precious time.

Then the fun began. Davis had to lay back and let them work their magic. It was an interesting thing to watch as a person, it was a terrible thing to watch as a mom. As I watched Dr. Huxtable clean that out, I wanted to SCREAM at him to stop. But that would not have helped Davis, so I just watched those big blue eyes so fearful, yet so brave! He was such a big boy - not quite the ending he would have chosen, but he was so brave anyway! And by the way - it took four stitches instead of the two he thought it would.

Sleeping last night was not easy, it was hard for him to get comfortable. Today was the Easter Egg hunt at church, and Davis was just too scared to go, he was convinced we would suffer the same fate. The stitches have started itching and at times, the pain returns. BUT - I have come to realize it is all about perspective.

This afternoon I was reading a blog written by an acquaintance and I realized - wow! she complains an awful lot.....her kids get up before 6:30am, her kids are sick, her house is dirty, her cabinets are bare, her throat hurts, etc. I realized...hmmm I deal with those things too. Then I read a blog by a friend whose husband is battling cancer. She has a whole list of things to complain about - and she was rejoicing about being able to be home for Easter! (they are in Texas for Dave to undergo treatment) - It is all about perspective.

So - I can complain that Davis has stitches - and we had to go to the ER - and he got blood on his shorts OR I can be thankful that:
This happened in the "fat" of his arm - if this had happened on his head or face - it would have been BAD!
We have insurance to cover our visit to the ER
We have a precious friend here in town that will be able to take the stitches out
I have an amazing husband that can change the dressings so I don't have to
We had the amazing and compassionate Dr. Huxtable - we could have had Dr. Frank Burns from MASH
We could have waited three hours at the ER in comparison to an hour and a half
Davis could have screamed the entire time instead of being so brave
I could have screamed the entire time instead of looking away
It only took four stitches and not eight
His arm could have been broken and not cut
My sweet brother texted last night to let Davis know that Davis had the MOST eggs - more than even Mason
Davis did actually sleep last night instead of staying up all night
And thankful most of all that this has been a learning experience for all of us!

I will share one picture from the night (not the one of the stitches - it is not for the faint of heart) This is the picture we took after we got home and cleaned up the wound. Look at the pitiful face!



Oh - and I can be thankful that we have only had one trip to the ER, four stitches, and one pulled tooth in that past 24 hours. My heart can't take much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment