Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss

Earlier this month, Oneonta Elementary School celebrated Dr. Seuss' birthday. I was lucky enough to be asked if Mrs. Anderson could use our camera for the day (her battery had died) so it was almost like we were there as well! Once again - picture overload!

Each child was allowed to bring their favorite Dr. Seuss book. Davis brought The Cat in The Hat.



They had special guests come to the classroom and read Dr. Seuss books. Notice the expressions on these teachers' faces. There is no wonder Oneonta Elementary is one of the best schools in the state! We have some of the most expressive and engaging teachers in the state! The teenager is Macy - Mrs. Anderson's teacher assistant. I hear quiet a bit about Macy every afternoon. I think that maybe she has stolen quiet a few kindergarten boys' hearts.








The special snack for the day. There was a story behind this sweet thing! That morning before school at 7:20 (we leave at 7:30) Davis said "Mommy don't forget to make the cupcakes!" Well, you all know that I do not cook. I can, I just choose not too unless I absolutely have to. But I am also very much a people pleaser, so if I needed to make cupcakes - I would at least buy some. I emailed Mrs. Anderson and asked if somehow I had missed the note or email letting me know I was supposed to make these cupcakes or if Davis had made this up. Her reply was "While we were discussing our exciting Dr. Seuss day the day before, a student asked if we would be having a special snack and my reply to her was Only if someone's mommy decides to make cupcakes" I guess Davis decided his mommy should do that. Thank goodness for Wal-Mart!



They drew pictures of The Cat in the Hat



Every morning Matt has to draw a special picture on Davis' snack bag....he got a very special one on this day.....



There were lots of highlights to this day, as you can see. Davis' favorite part of the day was listening to Rick and Bubba read a Dr. Seuss book. His least favorite part was listening to Justin Bieber read a Dr. Seuss book. But the most special part of the day was a special visit from this guy.....




So Happy Birthday to you Dr. Seuss! You have been a dear friend to me for 34 years and you are quickly becoming a dear friend to my sweet child. You have taught me some important life lessons - and for that - I will ever be thankful!

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact
and remember that Life's
a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft.
And never mix up your right foot with your left.

And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)

KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!

So...
be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray
or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O'Shea,
you're off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So...get on your way!


From Oh The Places You'll Go by Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment